Sustainability efforts in the fashion industry have become an increasingly popular cause and focus. In recent years, consumers are becoming more conscious of their personal ecological footprint and the environmental impact of their purchases. With the fashion industry being one of the largest polluters in the world, it is important for consumers to consider where they are shopping, and if these retailers and brands are prioritizing sustainable and ethical practices within their business.
Jewellery has remained a beloved accessory for people to adorn themselves in. If selected carefully, it can serve as an heirloom that lasts for years and generations. There are several factors to consider determining whether a jewellery brand is sustainable. These include where the materials are sourced from, the quality of the material being used, the packaging of the jewellery, and much more.
Below is a list of sustainable jewellery brands that you can browse through. These brands keep the environment in mind when producing beautiful accessories.
Mejuri is a popular and trending jewellery brand that redefines luxury accessories by creating pieces that are handcrafted responsibly and are made to last. Founded by Noura Sakkijha in 2015, the company began its mission with sustainability in mind. The brand works directly with some of the most qualified and sustainable jewellers and suppliers in the world.
Mejuri prioritizes sustainability by carefully selecting jewellers that are certified by the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC). The brand uses 80% recycled gold to craft its pieces, and the remaining 20% is newly-mined gold certified by the RJC to support the industry.
bluboho is named after the colour of the sky and water, and the free-spirited bohemian culture and lifestyle. The Toronto fine jewellery boutique creates handcrafted pieces using raw, refined, and recycled materials that are ethically sourced. The company is a member of 1% of the Planet, which is a global network of 4000 businesses belonging to 90 countries that all pledge a minimum of 1% of their sales to organizations that make strides in finding solutions to environmental problems.
In addition, bluboho implements sustainability practices in the packaging by using recycled, reusable, and compostable materials. For customers shopping in-store, the brand incentivizes less waste by offering customers a small discount if they return their packaging to the store, or if they wear their jewellery without using the packaging.
The company offers repair and resizing services to fix any damage that comes from long-term use.
Soko is a global artisan jewellery brand with a focus on the country of Kenya and its robust artisan community that embodies a sense of deep cultural roots. It showcases the impressive technical skills of the artisan economy within the country.
Many talented artisans in Kenya are marginalized in their growth; they are trapped in the micro-economies of the country and are limited in making local sales. That’s why SOKO created the Virtual Factory. The brand describes the Virtual Factory as a supply-chain innovation that connects local Kenyan artisans to Soko’s team and the global customer base through a proprietary mobile application. Soko allows Kenyan artisans and entrepreneurs to make up to five times more sales than what they would make selling their jewellery locally. It supports the artisans’ growth by providing them with opportunities to increase and develop their skill-sets.
Soko offers jewellery made from a wide range of unique and impressive materials, such as reclaimed horn and bone, wood, ceramic beads, silver, gold, and brass.
- The Giving Keys
The Giving Keys is a pay-it-forward company and brand that encourages gift-giving to those who need it most. The company repurposes old keys sourced from locksmiths around the world. It creates accessories with the keys by customizing and imprinting words of hope and inspiration such as “believe”, “love”, and “strength” on the keys as reminders for those who need an uplifting message.
The brand’s core values are to dream, create, inspire, and embody a sense of community and hope to share with individuals struggling with hardships in life. The founder of The Giving Keys was inspired by a homeless couple living on Hollywood Boulevard who she employed at her company. The Giving Keys continues to employ homeless individuals through their partnership with PATH (people assisting the homeless).
Whether you are shopping for jewellery to spice up your spring wardrobe or to gift a loved one, you can rest assured that your hard-earned dollars are supporting the brand’s values and the environment.
Arnav Khosla | Contributing Writer